[3dem] Insertion of Holder 626

Conway, James Frederick James.Conway at pitt.edu
Mon Feb 24 13:49:27 PST 2020

Ariel, and others,

I have two 626 holders and a 910 (3-grid) cryoholder - none cause the TF20 vacuum to crash. I do not change o-rings often (once a year if that), don't use vacuum grease (it collects dust), and pump for 60-secs in the airlock. I follow a common procedure: insert with the stage at -60-degrees tilt to maintain liquid N2 in the cryoholder dewar, wait for the 1-minute pump, return the stage to 0 tilt holding the dewar steady, then rotate the dewar upright - all to keep the relative motion slow between the o-ring and the airlock. Some thoughts on what sounds like a real pain:

1. I use ethane:propane to freeze - its stays liquid and I expect it evaporates in the airlock before entry into the column. Ethane ice may instead reach the column, as Wim Hagen suggested. Its easy to do - fill the cup 2/3 with ethane, top it off with propane, and do the plunge, etc, as usual. The ethane/propane mix can become jelly-like, so I bubble a bit of propane in to warm it up and it becomes absolutely clear. I drilled holes in the styrofoam platform so that liquid nitrogen is surrounding the brass cup, but that's not really necessary.

2. Check the o-ring for cuts. If you replace the o-ring (make sure its the correct size), and the vacuum breaks again, check it again for new cuts. If you see damage to the surface, there may be something sharp inside the cryo-transfer station or inside the airlock that is ripping up the o-ring. Try inserting the holder into each (at room temp) in turn, and inspect the o-ring afterwards with a magnifying glass.

3. My turbo pump was replaced a couple of years ago and the spin-up time on the new pump was much shorter. We hadn't noticed how the pump had degraded over time because it was very gradual. I'm not sure if this affected the quality of the vacuum, maybe just caused a long (5-6 minute) wait for spin-up that is now 2-3 minutes. However, if its long, maybe the turbo pump isn't working so well.

James Conway
James Conway, PhD.,
Professor, Department of Structural Biology
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Biomedical Science Tower 3, Room 2047
3501 5th Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
U.S.A.