[3dem] Gatan clipring tool

Dokland, Terje dokland at uab.edu
Mon Feb 10 12:33:06 PST 2020

We’re looking for a replacement clipring tool for our Gatan 626 high-tilt (70 degree) holder. This is the tool with the rotating blades that slide into a groove in the clipring, not the type with thread that screws into the ring. (The Gatan part # is 626.53204) The rotating blade on our current tool has come loose and is very difficult to rotate when it’s being pressed onto the ring.

We asked Gatan for the price of a new tool and they quoted us … wait for it … $2,494!

Does anybody know of a different source for the tool? Maybe a workshop that can make one? Or perhaps somebody who can repair the old tool? It just seems kind of ridiculous to pay that much money for what is basically a stick in a steel tube.

Thanks,
Terje