[3dem] A Request from IFSM

Angus Kirkland angus.kirkland at materials.ox.ac.uk
Fri Apr 17 14:54:16 PDT 2020

Dear Colleagues,
I am writing in my capacity as the President of the International Federation of Societies for Microscopy.
In these difficult times, IFSM has a role to play in helping to coordinate and disseminate activities within the cryo-EM community related to the Covid-19 pandemic.
Of course, there will be many facilities already fully stretched with no spare resources and many research groups with adequate access. However, there may also be other facilities with spare cryo-EM capacity and groups who are held back by restricted access.
I would therefore ask gfor your help in collating two lists that address the questions below. Your prompt responses will be collated by IFSM and with your agreement published on our Website and recirculated back to all those contributing.

(a)    The identity of national or international cryo-EM facilities that are currently offering high-priority or streamlined access to state-of-the-art cryo-EM data collection facilities.

(b)   The identity and activities of any research group working on the structure of individual proteins, complexes of proteins, intact viruses, or virus-like particles related to Covid-19 pandemic.
I hope that assembling these two lists will act as a useful resource through which individual laboratories may communicate and collaborate.
There is no intent on the part of IFSM to provide anything other than useful information. It will be up to individual groups and ifacilities to follow up on any opportunities using their normal procedures. The list would also help to emphasize the role of microscopy and cryo-EM in worldwide efforts to understand the structure of Covid-19 and its interaction with the human host.
Keep safe and well

Angus

Professor Angus Kirkland
President
International Federation of Societies for Microscopy