[3dem] Industrial cryo-EM position: Cryo-EM at Takeda [San Diego, CA]

Kang, Yanyong Yanyong.Kang at takeda.com
Thu Nov 14 14:37:58 PST 2019

All,
The Takeda Structural Biology & Biophysics group (San Diego, CA) has a new opening for a Scientist I, Structural Biology protein crystallography and cryo-EM (Job ID: R0012926).  Candidates can apply using the link below.
Thanks in advance for your interest!

Mack Flinspach
Associate Director
Structural Biology & Biophysics
9625 Towne Centre Dr.
San Diego CA 92121
Mack.flinspach at takeda.com<mailto:Mack.flinspach at takeda.com>

https://www.takedajobs.com/job/san-diego/scientist-i-structural-biology-protein-crystallography-and-cryoem/1113/13669472

Job Description
Are you looking for a patient-focused, innovation-driven company that will inspire you and empower you to shine?  Join us as a Scientist I - Structural Biology  protein crystallography and cryoEM at our recently dedicated San Diego Research Site.
At Takeda, we are transforming the pharmaceutical industry through our R&D-driven market leadership and being a values-led company.  To do this, we empower our people to realize their potential through life-changing work. Certified as a Global Top Employer, we offer stimulating careers, encourage innovation, and strive for excellence in everything we do.   We foster an inclusive, collaborative workplace, in which our global teams are united by an unwavering commitment to deliver Better Health and a Brighter Future to people around the world.
Here, you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission.  As a Scientist I - Structural Biology  protein crystallography and cryoEM, you will be empowered to serve on project teams for discovery to development programs.
OBJECTIVES

  *   Seeking a highly motivated and collaborative Scientist I, Structural Biology, to provide expertise in 1) recombinant protein expression/purification, and 2) crystallographic/cryoEM structure determination of soluble and membrane proteins, protein-protein complexes and protein-ligand complexes to support Takeda's drug discovery programs.
  *   This individual works collaboratively and effectively with other biologists, protein chemists, crystallographers and biophysicists in determining methodologies and strategies that best support Takeda's internal and external drug discovery programs.
  *   Contributes to design, development and execution of research assignments, potentially contributing to multiple projects
ACCOUNTABILITIES

  *   Responsible for high-resolution cryoEM and crystallographic structure determination of proteins complexed with both large and small molecules and for supporting Structure-Based Drug Design (SBDD) and Fragment- Based Lead Discovery (FBLD)
  *   Strong aptitude for using structural data to help interpret data from other disciplines to generate testable SAR hypotheses and drive progress on portfolio programs
  *   Work collaboratively on pipeline projects with an interdisciplinary group of both internal and external project team members including disease-area biologists, medicinal chemistry, computational chemistry, in vitro/in vivo pharmacology, informatics, DMPK, DSRE, and project management
  *   Responsible for optimizing expression and purification of proteins, including integral membrane proteins, from a variety of expression hosts
  *   Perform high-throughput crystal screening and optimization as well as cryoEM grid preparation across a number of platforms utilizing multiple methods, including automation.
  *   Utilize structural biology software packages including Coot, Phenix, Relion and CCP4 to provide high quality structural data for project teams.
  *   Communicate structural data to various audiences, as well as interpretation and significance of the data, to help to drive the molecule design/testing iterations
  *   Maintain up-to-date understanding of the state of the field in cryoEM, x-ray crystallography structural biology as a whole and more broadly across drug discovery
  *   Initiate investigation of new experimental approaches to a wide range of problems using
scientific theory and technical literature
DIMENSIONS AND ASPECTS
Technical/Functional (Line) Expertise

  *   Demonstrated ability to rigorously and efficiently solve high quality structures of biological complexes of interest using cryoEM and x-ray crystallography
  *   Experienced in all aspects of cryoEM and crystallographic workflows and in solving difficult structural biology challenges
  *   Deep experience in membrane protein expression and purification
  *   Expertise in structure determination software including Relion, CCP4, Phenix, and Coot.  Experience with MOE and PyMol is highly desirable
  *   Deep understanding of protein structure and function, with the ability to clearly communicate structural information and significance/interpretation to a broad audience
  *   Rigorous, exacting, organized, creative and innovative approach to scientific inquiry.
  *   Experience in various aspects of computational chemistry, including molecular docking and virtual screening, is a plus
  *   Enthusiasm for structural biology, drug discovery, and collaboration in an industrial setting
Leadership

  *   Identifies, plans and executes novel scientific projects and may manage the work of others a direct or matrixed structure
Decision-making and Autonomy

  *   Independently manages workload and expectations
  *   Scientifically independent
  *   May influence decision making within the department
Interaction

  *   Conducts scientific presentations to internal audiences
Innovation

  *   Receives high level instructions on all work, determines methods on new assignments, works closely with manager, may manage junior staff
EDUCATION, BEHAVIORAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:

  *   PhD degree in a scientific discipline

  *   WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
  *   401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
  *   Tuition reimbursement
  *   Company match of charitable contributions
  *   Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
  *   Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
  *   Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Learn more at takedajobs.com<http://takedajobs.com/>.
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.
#LI-KL
Locations
San Diego, CA
Worker Type
Employee
Worker Sub-Type
Regular
Time Type
Full time

Job ID R0012926

The content of this email and of any files transmitted may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information and is intended solely for the use of the person/s or entity/ies to whom it is addressed. If you have received this email in error you have no permission whatsoever to use, copy, disclose or forward all or any of its contents. Please immediately notify the sender and thereafter delete this email and any attachments.