[3dem] question about preferred orientation

Christopher Arthur cparthurphd at gmail.com
Thu May 30 10:55:16 PDT 2019

Hi Mohamed,
I would suggest the following.
1- Look at the pI of your protein and try to adjust the pH of you buffer to
give your sample a net negative charge.
2- Screen a number of detergents at multiple concentrations, i.e. 1x CMC,
0.75x CMC, 0.5x CMC (salt concentrations can effect the CMC of your
detergent, which in turn will effect how many detergent monomers are
available to bind to the air-water interface).
The detergents that I screen include a couple of anionics, a couple of
cationics, a couple of nonionics, and a couple of zwittergents (i.e. Fl Fos
Choline, CTAB, DOC, LDAO, CHAPSO, Tween20, DDM, OG).
3- You could also look at other potential additives to mask surface charge
both on your sample, on the grid surface, and at the air-water interface.

Happy to converse more about this.

Cheers,
Chris