[3dem] question about preferred orientation

Snijder, J. (Joost) j.snijder at uu.nl
Thu May 30 10:50:49 PDT 2019

Dear Mohamed,

If you see fewer particles in ice after adding detergent to the sample, it can help to apply and blot your sample on the grid multiple times before you plunge-freeze. We described the procedure some time ago here:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S104784771730031X

I had the exact issue you described with an Epstein Barr Virus protein complex. Adding the detergent (0.01% NP40 in my case) improved the orientations for me, and multiple rounds of blotting improved the numbers of particles in ice. We have also seen it work with DDM detergent. Hope this trick also works for you, good luck!

Best,

Joost