[3dem] Grid nanofabrication method update

John Rubinstein john.rubinstein at utoronto.ca
Mon Mar 18 08:10:02 PDT 2019

Dear Colleagues,

Over the past few years I have shared with a number of people the details of our method for nanofabricating holey gold or holey carbon grids (Marr 2014, JSB 185, 42-7, which was based on Chester 2007, Ultramicroscopy 187, 685-91). I’ve lost track of how many people are using this method and I now want to share a two important updates:
First, Zhijie Li in the Rini lab at U of T made an e-beam master pattern with 1.2 um holes. We find that on baking the resulting plastic films, this pattern gives high quality ~2 um holes that are superior to what we could get from the patterns with smaller holes that we used previously. Patterns can be ordered from the Toronto Nanofabrication Centre (alex.tsukernik at utoronto.ca<mailto:alex.tsukernik at utoronto.ca>)
Second, we learned from TTP Labtech (with whom we shared the details of our manufacturing process) that using a liftoff agent prior to making the PDMS stamps dramatically improves the quality of the stamps. The details of the liftoff agent can be found in comments section below the youtube video describing the process (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycsdCSmD4rw).

Best,
John

--
John Rubinstein