[3dem] sad news about Jim Pawley

frank booy frankpbooy at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 18:06:03 PDT 2019

Pawley, Emily <pawleye at dickinson.edu>
Tue, 12 Mar, 19:16 (4 days ago)
to Alice, John, Christine

Dear everyone,

Please forgive the mass email. I’m writing on behalf of my family with very
sad news about my dad, which some of you will have heard already.  My dear
dad collapsed playing tennis on Thursday March 7th and died
almost immediately. I’m attaching his obituary below; a shorter version
will come out in the Coast Reporter and Wisconsin State Journal later this
week. We’re having a private funeral tomorrow in Sechelt, but are arranging
some memorial celebrations that everyone would be welcome to attend. We are
planning on holding one in Madison on May 13, and another in Sechelt July
31. People are also invited to send stories and photos to me at
alicepawley at gmail.com and I will put them together into a book for Mom. In
lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the Sunshine Coast Community
Solar Association <https://suncoastcommsolar.weebly.com/>, although they’re
still figuring out the logistics for online donation - it should be live
later this week. We will post updates on the memorial celebrations and the
donation fund at http://pawleypudding.ca/.

This has been a great shock to us all. Thank you all for what you
contributed to Dad’s life. We are just heartbroken to have lost him.

With love,

Alice.

----

Jim was born January 15th 1944 in Gerrard’s Cross, England. He immigrated
to Canada with his parents in 1946, first to Cloverdale, BC, where they
joined his aunt Winifred and cousin Brenda on their chicken farm, and then
to Vancouver. He spent summers on Gambier Island with the family of Jack
and Joan Warn. In the late 1950s, the family moved to Ben Lomond,
California. From 1962-66 he studied electrical engineering at the Carnegie
Institute of Technology in Pittsburgh, and in 1972 he got his Ph.D. in
biophysics at the University of California-Berkeley. After a series
of postdoctoral positions (including in London, where he met his wife
Christine), in 1978 he took a faculty position in the department of Zoology
at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. One of his main responsibilities
was to run the three-story million-volt electron microscope, part of a
national microscopy facility.

For sixteen years he also directed the 3D Microscopy of Living Cells Course
on the University of British Columbia’s campus. With a faculty
of internationally known scientists and cutting edge equipment loaned by
manufacturers, the 3D Microscopy of Living Cells (motto, “It’s not
just diffraction, it’s not just statistics: It’s biology!”) attracted
participants from all over the world.  The course provided the foundation
for his best-known publication, the Handbook of Biological Confocal
Microscopy, now in its third edition and still an essential resource.

Galvanized by the threat of climate change, Jim spent recent years raising
the alarm. He organized a teach-in at UW-Madison, and taught classes on
climate change there and at the Elder College in Sechelt. He helped
organize a climate march in Vancouver, marched in Washington DC, and gave
lectures in many places including the Sunshine Coast, and Harbin, China. He
was especially active in the Clean Air Society and the Sunshine Coast
Community Solar Association; his letters often appeared in local papers.

Jim loved photography and music (especially Scarlatti); he loved to fix
houses, furniture, and boats. In the late 1970s with friends, Jim built a
cabin across the water from Egmont (boat access only). The family spent
almost every summer there, trekking 2000 miles each way by car. He was
a founder of the Doriston Music Festival, which in its first year was his
kids on violins and keyboard, and Don and George Gilmour on mandolin
and guitar. When Christine retired in 2012, the couple moved to the house
they built in Sechelt. Jim loved the coast, and was so happy to be back
in Canada after 56 years away. Every day, he looked out the window and said
how lucky he felt to be here.

Jim loved his family very much. He is survived by Christine, his wife of 43
years; his three children: Alice (Stephen Hoffmann), Emily (Roger Turner),
and John; and his four grandchildren: Sam and Laura Turner, and Simon and
Jane Hoffmann. A private funeral was held this week in Sechelt. All will be
welcome to share stories about Jim at the celebration of his life on July
31, 2019 at the Sechelt Botanical Gardens (https://coastbotanicalgarden.org).
People are also invited to send stories and photos to alicepawley at gmail.com to
be bound into a book for his family. In lieu of flowers, donations can be
made to the Sunshine Coast Community Solar Association:
https://suncoastcommsolar.weebly.com.  His family will post updates on the
memorial celebration and donation fund at http://pawleypudding.ca/.

[image: cid:B0410D8B-DF60-4489-AE77-AEC90381FCC2 at telus]