[3dem] Recommendations for booking/billing software

Rebecca Thompson R.F.Thompson at leeds.ac.uk
Fri Jun 28 00:16:33 PDT 2019

Hi Claire,

We use an instruct-eric system (Aria) (https://instruct-eric.eu/dashboard/?t=instructeric) which is pretty good for our needs. It has the shining advantage of being free, and and offers a number of nice options for equipment booking. I attach a screen shot so you can get an idea of what the calendar looks like. You set up each instrument individually, and can set ‘rules’ for each separate piece of equipment, as well as rules (for example, beginner users need to have booking approved, only advanced users can book out of hours, that sort of thing). Users set up their own account then can make bookings. The booking form for each piece of equipment is configurable, which is really handy if, like us, you need to collect specific information about Faculty/grant/project for reporting purposes. You can put outages onto the system easily to communicate when the system is down (and keep track!). You can write out reports on bookings, really useful for charging and report writing (I use a spreadsheet to convert the output from Aria into a format for our finance-doest take long).

It can take a bit of time to get the system configured how you would like, but I think thats probably true for most system. We have been using it for a few years and very happy with it.

Happy to talk more about this offline, if it would be useful. Interested to see what others are using!

Best wishes,
Becky

[cid:370C7E23-AA5B-4C99-BAC4-9ACC5C44DF4F]
Rebecca Thompson
Senior cryo-Electron Microscopy Support Scientist/Facility manager
Astbury Biostructure Laboratory
University of Leeds

Email r.f.thompson at leeds.ac.uk<mailto:r.f.thompson at leeds.ac.uk>
Phone 0113 3438957/3438959 (office/Titan Krios control room)
Mobile 07816179813
Location Roger Stevens 5.40
Linkedin   https://uk.linkedin.com/in/1rebeccathompson
Twitter  Bex_16