[3dem] Elsa cryo holder

Anastasia Gazi anadegaz at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 05:00:53 PDT 2019

Dear all,

I would be grateful if someone of you could share some more information
related to the ELSA cryoholders.

We extensively tried out the ultra-low profile (ULP) tip for 2 weeks and
the results were quite controversial.

The stability of the holder was amazing in comparison to our 626
cryoholders but there was a regular appearing of leopard/orange skin on the
grids.

We believe that this might be related to leakage at the loading station but
I wonder if someone else had the same experience with its own ELSA (ULP or
standard tip profile).

Thank you a lot for your help,

Anastasia

On Sat, 6 Jan 2018 at 00:38, David Michael Belnap <David.Belnap at utah.edu>
wrote:

> I don’t know, Benjamin.  Elsa freezes things so fast that maybe she is
> really making vitreous ice!  :-)
>

> On Jan 4, 2018, at 10:13 AM, Benjamin Bammes <bbammes at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> While I don't know anything about the holder, I find the name "Elsa" a bit
> humorous. For anyone with young kids who has watched the movie Frozen, you
> know that Elsa does two things: (1) She turns everything she touches to
> solid ice, and (2) She always wants to "let it go." Both of those things
> are undesirable for cryo holders! :-)
>
> ----
> *Benjamin Bammes*
>
> On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 9:21 PM, jamonshi <jamonshi at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Our local sales says
>>
>> "Gatan has not shipped any production 698 Elas holder yet. The holders
>> won’t start shipping until March of 2018. Gatan cannot discover where they
>> tested the holder, as that is not a complete product and the development is
>> confidential."
>> Cheers,
>> Jian
>>
>> On 04/01/2018 06:36, Elizabeth Montabana wrote:
>>
>> Hi All
>>
>> I haven't seen any responses to this, but we are also curious about if
>> anyone has purchased or tested an Elsa Cryo transfer holder and their
>> opinion about it - particularly, if folks have been able to get high
>> resolution data with it.
>>
>> thanks
>> Liz Montabana
>> Donner Labs, LBNL
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 4:54 AM, Anastasia Gazi <anadegaz at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> <3dem at ncmir.ucsd.edu>
>>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>

>>> We are considering the purchase of an Elsa Cryo transfer holder Model
>>> 698 from Gatan. It is looking great on paper with its centrosymmetric
>>> design, extended hold time to 8h and everything but I am wondering if
>>> someone has already experience with it. Either with the standard profile
>>> holder or with the ultra-low one.
>>>

>>> Thank you for your help,
>>>
>>> Anastasia

>>> Anastasia D. Gazi, PhD.
>>> Ultrastructural BioImaging unit,
>>> Départment de Biologie cellulaire et infection,
>>> Institut Pasteur
>>> 28, rue du Dr. Roux
>>> 75015 PARIS

>>> 3dem at ncmir.ucsd.edu