[3dem] 3D printed cryo-grid boxes

Sue Tivol wtivol at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 10 15:04:37 PDT 2019

> On Jun 10, 2019, at 2:22 AM, Davide Zabeo <davide.zabeo at gu.se> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>
> In our lab we would like to try 3D-printing cryo-boxes to store plunge frozen cryo-grids (attached photo as reference).
>
> Has anyone tried this before? Does anyone have a blueprint of it?
>
> Any help is appreciated! Thank you.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Davide Zabeo
> PhD student
> Johanna Höög Lab
> Department of Chemistry and Molecular Biology
> University of Gothenburg
> Visiting Address: Medicinaregatan 9 C, 41390 Göteborg
> Postal Address: Box 462, 40530 Göteborg SWEDEN
> 3dem mailing list
> 3dem at ncmir.ucsd.edu <mailto:3dem at ncmir.ucsd.edu>

Dear Davide,
	I do not have a comment specific to 3-D printing, but I found that the “witches hat” design for the lid has at least two flaws.  Fewer specimens can be put into a 50 ml tube, and, more importantly, grids can be pulled out of the base and will then stick to the underside of the lid as it is being unscrewed.  The alternative, a flat disk with a U-shaped channel that can be rotated over one of the slots in the base or left so that all the slots are covered, worked much better for me, and I also recommend that metal screws be used to hold the lid to the base. YMMV.   As long as one wants to use a 3-D printer, it would be as easy to make one type of lid as another.
						Yours,
						Bill