[3dem] Surface projection maps.

Jason Kaelber jason.kaelber at rutgers.edu
Tue Feb 12 12:48:02 PST 2019

Dear Steinar,

EMAN2 contains a program "e2unwrap.py" written by John Flanagan that unspools a virus onto a cylinder. You should apply an inner and outer mask to your map before running e2unwrap.py. After you install EMAN2, I recommend you open e2unwrap.py in a text editor and change the line
polarslice = slice2d.unwrap(0,-1,180,0,0,1,0)
polarslice = slice2d.unwrap(0,-1,720,0,0,1,0)
because otherwise the sampling will not look good with today's high-DPI figures.

An example is seen in Fig. 4C of https://www.pnas.org/content/113/41/11519.long from Junjie Zhang group
I also have done "double unwrapping" in FIgure 7 of my review on virus cryoEM https://www.annualreviews.org/doi/full/10.1146/annurev-virology-101416-041921 where I used e2unwrap, then transformed the output and ran e2unwrap again.

Best,
Jason

--
J T Kaelber, PhD
Director, Rutgers New Jersey CryoEM/CryoET Core Facility