[3dem] Using SerialEM and Leginon on same scope

Matthias Wolf matthias.wolf at oist.jp
Fri Aug 30 07:14:35 PDT 2019

Hi Bob,

no conflict. We have SerialEM, Leginon, EPU and FEI Tomo4. They coexist fine.
Only requirement for Falcon is that you will need advanced scripting for access to the frames on the Falcon storage server.
For serialEM, you must run the serialem server on the microscope PC, and for leginon the leginon client. If you have a K2, you also need to run a second leginon client on the camera PC.
Of course running all these clients all at the same time may confuse the system, but who would do that.

I would standardize on no more than two of them, because you will need calibrations for each scope and each camera on each system - it quickly gets out of hand. In this respect, EPU and Tomo win, because TFS will do the installation and calibration for you. I think SerialEM is best for tomo, because David is always at the forefront when it comes to implementing new insights - such as the dose symmetric scheme. It's got great tracking and it seamlessly integrates with IMOD.

   Matthias