[3dem] New camera for a 200 kV LaB6 cryo-EM microscope

Sacha De Carlo sacha.decarlo at dectris.com
Wed Apr 24 14:35:13 PDT 2019

I would argue that it all depends on what the goal is, ultimately.
Screening cryoEM samples or try to get 3D reconstructions at < 5 A for
single particles, or helical assemblies/viruses, etc?

On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 11:10 PM Benjamin Bammes <bbammes at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's pretty clear from the progress in cryo-EM over the past decade that
> direct detectors make a huge impact on data quality. At this point,
> scintillator-coupled cameras are a major disadvantage for cryo-EM.
>
> Regarding cost, I'd encourage you to talk to the various manufactors
> (including our company, Direct Electron). We have two options for
> lower-cost direct detectors, and it is also sometimes possible to purchase
> ex-demo cameras at a reduced price.
>
> On Wed, Apr 24, 2019, 3:59 PM Denis Chrétien <
> denis.chretien at univ-rennes1.fr> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> We would like to upgrade our 200 kV LaB6 ( Tecnai G2 T20 Sphera FE ) with
>> a a new camera. We currently have an Ultrascan 4K from Gatan and are
>> wondering whether a direct electron camera would drastically improve our
>> images (at quite an expensive price), or if a less expensive camera like
>> the RIO that allows motion correction would be sufficient considering the
>> limited resolution of our microscope. Any feedback on this issue would be
>> greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Denis
>>
>> ___________________________
>> Université de Rennes 1
>> UMR 6290, équipe TIPs
>> Campus de Beaulieu, Bât. 13
>> 35042 Rennes Cedex
>> France
>>
>> Tel. +33 (0)2 23 23 67 64
>> http://equipes.igdr.univ-rennes1.fr/en/tips/

<https://www.dectris.com>
Sacha De Carlo, Ph.D.
Business Development Manager EM
Phone: +41 56 500 21 00 | Direct: +41 56 500 21 90 | Email:
sacha.decarlo at dectris.com
DECTRIS Ltd. | Taefernweg 1 | 5405 Baden-Daettwil | Switzerland |
www.dectris.com

<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dectris-Ltd/623855944369304>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/5067919>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/5067919>[image: LinkedIn]
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/5067919>
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dectris-Ltd/623855944369304>
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dectris-Ltd/623855944369304>
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dectris-Ltd/623855944369304>
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dectris-Ltd/623855944369304>
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dectris-Ltd/623855944369304>
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dectris-Ltd/623855944369304>[image:
facebook] <https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dectris-Ltd/623855944369304>
<https://twitter.com/DECTRIS_News> <https://twitter.com/DECTRIS_News>
<https://twitter.com/DECTRIS_News>

*Confidentiality Note: This message is intended only for the use of the
named recipient(s)*
*and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not
the intended*
*recipient, please contact the sender and delete the message. Any
unauthorized use of*
*the information contained in this message is prohibited.*