[3dem] dm3 vs dm4 format?

Jean-Marc Verbavatz IJM jean-marc.verbavatz at ijm.fr
Wed Apr 17 10:50:28 PDT 2019

Hi,

We also have a Oneview camera and we spent some time deciding which format between DM3 and DM4 we
would recommend.
As far as I can tell, from looking into it all the metadata present in DM4 files is also present in
DM3 files.
I also heard that the difference was in the 32bits or 54 bit pointers, but it doesn't seem to make
a difference for the images from the OneView.
Therefore, we have opted for the DM3 format which opens more easily in 3rd party software like
imagej/fiji.

The only exception is for tomography because the tomography software from Gatan that we have does
not offer DM3 as a format: only DM4 and MRC but the MRC from Gatan does not contain the metadata,
so we have to use DM4 !!

best wishes,

Jean-Marc

--