[3dem] Postdoctoral position available

Jonathan Moore jmm6120 at mit.edu
Mon Apr 15 10:51:50 PDT 2019

Dear All,
We would like to bring to your attention a postdoctoral position available in the Department of Biology, MIT. We are seeking candidates with extensive experience in the biochemistry and biophysics of integral membrane proteins. As part of a drug discovery collaboration with Rectify Pharmaceuticals, this NIH STTR funded position provides a unique opportunity to engage in the drug discovery process at the interface of academia and biotech. The research will be carried out in the laboratory of Professor Thomas Schwartz, MIT. The appointment is for one year, and is available immediately. More details are provided below. We are also attaching a pdf file for posting. We would greatly appreciate it if you could bring this to the attention of qualified candidates.
 Best Regards,
Jonathan Moore, Ph. D.
Principal, Rectify Pharmaceuticals

Thomas Schwartz, Ph. D.
Boris Magasanik Professor of Biology
MIT

Postdoctoral Scientist - Membrane Protein Biochemistry and Biophysics in Drug Discovery
The Department of Biology, MIT seeks a highly motivated candidate with state-of-the-art expertise in integral membrane protein biochemistry. The successful candidate will express, purify and reconstitute proteins into liposomes and nanodiscs, develop functional assays, and carry out structural studies with transporters implicated in rare disease. As part of a drug discovery collaboration with Rectify Pharmaceuticals, the position provides a unique opportunity to engage in the drug discovery process at the interface of academia and biotech. The research will be carried out in the laboratory of Professor Thomas Schwartz, MIT. The appointment is for one year, and is available immediately.
Key responsibilities:
- Design protein expression constructs and optimize yield and protein quality from insect and mammalian expression hosts
- Purify and reconstitute membrane proteins into lipid environments such as liposomes and nanodiscs for functional assay development
- Design small-scale activity assays for key disease mutants
- Characterize transporter structure and folding state using cryo-EM or other biophysical methods

Qualifications:
- Must have Ph.D. (or equivalent degree) in Protein Biochemistry, Structural Biology or a related field
- Proven expertise in membrane protein biochemistry as evidenced by a strong publication record and references
- Experience in mammalian protein expression, functional assay development or cryo-EM a plus
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) and the ability to work in a close-knit, team environment is required

Interested candidates should send a cv with cover letter to Jonathan Moore at the address below:

Dr. Jonathan Moore (Rectify Pharmaceuticals)
moore at rectifypharma.com<mailto:moore at rectifypharma.com>