[3dem] Negative stain on graphene oxyde grids

Matthews-Palmer, Teige Rowan Seal t.matthews-palmer14 at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Sep 12 00:07:13 PDT 2018

Dear Julien,
It’s a good idea, to check that your sample will adsorb to GrOx, and perhaps you’d also like to see how it’s oriented.
However, things might look different between a negative stain protocol versus blotting and plunge freezing. It’s probably better to move quickly to freezing, as that’s where optimisation can take time, and you can see how your sample interacts with GrOx under the conditions you’ll use for eventual data collection. In other words, diagnose GrOx at stage 3 of this scheme: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5140023/figure/F1/
If neg stain on GrOx turns out to be challenging, it will be a waste of time for likely no benefit over regular grids.
Negative stain on regular carbon grids can tell you if your particle looks the right shape & size, and what the concentration is like. (A rule of thumb some use to start, is having found a good concentration in neg stain, 10x for cryo in holes, and a smaller increase for cryo on support films.)

All the best
Teige