[3dem] questions about carbon coaters /glow discharge

Eyal Shimoni shimoni.eyal at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 05:13:51 PDT 2018

Hi Kristin,

We are very happy with the SafeMatic coating unit
<https://www.safematic.ch/e/index.php> used in our multi user EM facility.
It has removable coating heads, one for metal sputter coating and one
suitable for carbon evaporation using a carbon thread. We have two glass
cylinders and sample stages in order to avoid contamination of metal with
carbon and vice versa.
A very useful feature of this device is that the carbon thread spools
during coating, thus providing "infinite" carbon source required for heavy
coating. Of course, the device also allows for coating very thin layers of
carbon or metal using a quartz crystal to monitor thickness.
The coater is very compact, having a small footprint compared with our
older Edwards carbon coater (which is very useful for resistance coating
with carbon rods). Pumping times are short and the coating profile is
software controlled.

We do not have a glow discharge unit installed in the device, since we
already have a separate unit, but the option is available.

Best,
Eyal

‫בתאריך יום ו׳, 7 בספט׳ 2018 ב-20:37 מאת ‪Parent, Kristin‬‏ <‪
kparent at msu.edu‬‏>:‬

--

Eyal Shimoni, Ph.D.
Senior Staff Scientist