[3dem] questions about carbon coaters /glow discharge

Eyal Shimoni Eyal.Shimoni at weizmann.ac.il
Sat Sep 8 09:25:56 PDT 2018

Hi Kristin,

We are very happy with the SafeMatic coating unit<https://www.safematic.ch/e/index.php> used in our multi user EM facility.
It has removable coating heads, one for metal sputter coating and one suitable for carbon evaporation using a carbon thread. We have two glass cylinders and sample stages in order to avoid contamination of metal with carbon and vice versa.
A very useful feature of this device is that the carbon thread spools during coating, thus providing "infinite" carbon source required for heavy coating. Of course, the device also allows for coating very thin layers of carbon or metal using a quartz crystal to monitor thickness.
The coater is very compact, having a small footprint compared with our older Edwards carbon coater (which is still being used when resistance coating with carbon rods is required). Pumping times are short and the coating profile is software controlled.

We do not have a glow discharge unit installed in the device, since we already have a separate unit, but the option is available.

Best,
Eyal

‫בתאריך יום ו׳, 7 בספט׳ 2018 ב-20:37 מאת ‪Parent, Kristin‬‏ <‪kparent at msu.edu<mailto:kparent at msu.edu>‬‏>:‬
Hello all,

I was hoping some of you might share good/bad experiences with a carbon coater & glow discharge device? We are planning to purchase one to support our growing facility and I would love to hear this groups’ experience.

We have on hand a plasma cleaner that works really well, so what I am hoping for is ideally something to supplement our existing equipment (for those that prefer glow discharge) and also is capable of carbon coating.

Thank you in advance,
Kristin

--
Kristin N. Parent, Ph.D.
J. K. Billman, Jr., M.D. Endowed Research Professor

--

Eyal Shimoni, Ph.D.
Senior Staff Scientist

Tel: +972-8-934 4945