[3dem] Falcon 3 question

Mike Strauss mike at biochem.mpg.de
Fri Oct 5 04:13:28 PDT 2018

Hi,

careful with changing the fan speed.  While effective at reducing the noise, it may void the warranty of the server.  Check with your service engineer.

I measured the sound levels of the server, and ours was at about 80 dB. According to German law ( at least as it was explained to me) I am required to provide ear protection to my users. Never mind what it does to high resolution. The Thermo recommended solution of moving it to a different room (up to 100 m away according to the pre-installation documentation) seems inadequate. Many sites don’t have this as a viable option.

Regards,
mike

-------
Mike Strauss - former cryoEM Facility Manager
MPI Biochemistry
mike at biochem.mpg.de
tel: +49 89-8578-2474
mob: +49 151 55 308040