[3dem] release of SPHIRE 1.0

Stefan Raunser Stefan.Raunser at mpi-dortmund.mpg.de
Tue Mar 13 14:49:53 PDT 2018

Dear colleagues,
We are excited to announce the release of the latest version of our SPHIRE software suite (SPHIRE 1.0) (co-distributed with EMAN 2.21), which is now available from our website:

http://sphire.mpg.de<http://sphire.mpg.de/>

Main new components and updates:

- SORT3D – A novel 3D sorting program based on novel concepts of reproducibility. We tested it on several high-resolution projects in our lab and were able to gain valuable and unparalleled insight into data heterogeneity.

- MERIDIEN – Rapid ML 3D refinement. We have introduced initialization of the program directly from 3D orientation parameters, as opposed to standard mode, which is initiated by an initial template structure. The new mode allows the user to rapidly perform local refinements of data subsets obtained with SORT3D. The two programs, MERIDIEN and SORT3D, thus serve as a perfect tool for exploration of data set heterogeneity.

- We have streamlined the processing workflow and the GUI interface facilitating users’ interactions with the system.
- The new release is accompanied by extensive documentation including tutorials explaining the underlying concepts.

For any issues and inquiries, the SPHIRE team is accessible 24/7 via the mailing list. We sincerely hope that the updated SPHIRE 1.0 will meet your expectations and be a helpful advance in high-resolution cryo-EM.

Your SPHIRE development team

Toshio, Markus, Felipe, Thorsten, Christos, and Stefan – MPI Dortmund

Zhong and Pawel - UTH Texas

(Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/SPHIRE_Package)<https://twitter.com/SPHIRE_Package>
---------------------
Stefan Raunser, Ph.D.

Director, Department of Structural Biochemistry
Max Planck Institute of Molecular Physiology
Otto-Hahn-Str. 11
44227 Dortmund, Germany
tel: +49-231-133-2300

and

Adjunct Professor, Faculty of Chemistry and Chemical Biology
Technical University Dortmund

Honorary Professor, Centre for Medical Biotechnology, Faculty of Biology
University Duisburg-Essen