[3dem] Group Leader position in Cryo-Tomography in Brussels, at VIB Center for Structural Biology

Dr. Rouslan Efremov rouslan.efremov at vub.be
Wed Jun 13 12:40:11 PDT 2018

The VIB‐VUB Center for Structural Biology is part of theVIBlife sciences
institute and is embedded within the Vrije Universiteit Brussel. As part
of our major investments to address new challenges in Systems Structural
Biology, we seek to appoint creative individuals at the junior or senior
level to build independent teams and broaden our research and technology
landscape:

  * *Groupleader in cryo‐electron tomography to strengthen our Bio
    Electron Cryogenic Microscopy center*
  * *Groupleader in computational biology, chemical biology or network
    dynamics to build a team converging on synthetic biology or protein
    signalling cascades*
  * *Groupleader in cellular biology / microbiology focusing on
    bacterial host‐pathogen interactions*

*We offer*

  * An exciting and international research environment with committed peers.
  * An internationally attractive employment package commensurate with
    experience and including a pension scheme and health care program.
  * A start‐up budget and funding for a research group ranging from 1‐2
    positions (junior group leaders) to 3‐5 positions (group leaders)
  * Stable working conditions with a guaranteed term of 5 years for
    junior group leaders and open ended contracts subject to excellent
    performance with quinquennial reviews for senior group leader
  * Access to the departmental and institutional core facilities
    including X‐ray crystallography Cryo‐EM, Bio‐NMR, Nanobody
    discovery, (deep)sequencing, transcriptomics, proteomics antibody
    and protein production, bio‐imaging, compound screening,
    bio‐informatics training facility, metabolomics andFACSsuite.

*About the Center for Structural Biology andVIB*

The VIB‐VUB Center for Structural Biology is a centre of excellence in
structural biology that is recognized worldwide for its scientific work,
for the technologies it develops, and for the spin‐offs it creates. We
study the structure and dynamics of macromolecular complexes in health
and disease to explain their mode of action. We integrate our structural
biology work with genetic and cellular studies, aiming to bridge
molecular and cellular resolution. Thematically, the center focusses on
protein signalling cascades and bacterial host‐pathogen interactions. We
excel in translating our discoveries into biotechnological and medical
applications. We take pride in training the next generation of scientists.

VIBis a non‐profit life sciences research institute located in Flanders,
Belgium. About 1,450 scientists and technicians conduct basic research
on the molecular mechanisms that are responsible for the functioning of
the human body, plants, and microorganisms. Through a close partnership
with all Flemish universities and a solid funding program,VIBunites the
forces of 75 research groups clustered in 8 research centers. The corner
stone of VIB’s policy is excellence, as well in science as in technology
transfer. The goal of the research is to move forward the boundaries of
our knowledge of life profoundly. Through its technology transfer
activities,VIBwants to convert research results into products for the
benefit of consumers and patients.VIBdevelops and disseminates a wide
range of scientifically substantiated information about biotechnology.

*How to apply?*

Motivated candidates are asked to apply online before June 15.

For more information, please contact Jan Steyaert(Jan.steyaert at vub.be
<mailto:Jan.steyaert at vub.be>) or Han Rema(Han.Remaut at vub.be
<mailto:Han.Remaut at vub.be>)

https://www.nature.com/naturejobs/science/jobs/645695-group-leader-and-junior-group-leader-positions-in-structural-molecular-and-cellular-biology