[3dem] Service FEI Tecnai Polara

Thorsten Mielke mielke at molgen.mpg.de
Thu Jul 19 07:30:06 PDT 2018

Sacha ... you are hitting exactly the point: we are scientist, not
business people.

However, in our small world, replacing a fully operational instrument,
which collects > 6000 images each week enabling near-atomic resolution,
just because someone is considering to make more profit, does not make
any sense, both, logically and economically.

As I said, I fully understand that Thermo/FEI can not maintain service
for parts which are no longer available. However, I am talking about all
other parts (FEG, HT-tank, electronic boards, chillers), which are still
supported in a normal F30.

Since we as scientists depend on grant moneys instead of business plans,
costs and risks are more difficult to calculate. Thus, a trustful and
reliable relationship to instrument manufactures and vendors are
important goods. I am not sure whether and how this incorporates into a
ROI? Oh, I forgot, I am just the customer ....

Imagine that Thermo/FEI (or however bought the company until then) would
decide to stop all support for the Titan Krios in 5-8 years just because
some parts in the autoloader or LN2 filling mechanism might not be
available. The outcry might be louder, because it will affect more
people worldwide ... It's business, stupid?

@Bob: I would agree (and know from people having no service contract)
that life without contract in practice will be difficult: It will take
ages till somebody shows up, and the person will leave as soon as a
request from a customer with service contract pops up.

I am wondering: Why can manufactures of other high-end equipment (e.g.
confocal and STED microscopes) offer different levels or service
contracts including or excluding dedicated parts such as e.g. different
types of laser, but Thermo can't?

Best,

Thorsten

E-mail: mielke at molgen.mpg.de