[3dem] Postdoc position in CLEM, FIB milling, and cryo-ET in Lyumkis lab, Salk Institute

Dmitry Lyumkis dlyumkis at salk.edu
Fri Dec 7 08:10:40 PST 2018

Dear colleagues,

We are seeking a highly motivated postdoctoral candidate to spearhead projects related to correlative light / electron microscopy (CLEM), FIB milling, and cryo-electron tomography (cryo-ET). We have several exciting directions in this general area.

Our cryo-EM facility is shared with The Scripps Research Institute (TSRI), and has a Titan Krios, a Talos Arctica (both with K2 detectors), a side-entry Talos, an F20, and a Spirit. A brand new Aquilos FIB milling instrument is being installed in a few short weeks. We also are in the process of bringing in instrumentation for light microscopy that would be streamlined with cryo-ET workflows. In addition, the Salk Institute has a state of the art biophotonics facility<https://www.salk.edu/science/core-facilities/advanced-biophotonics/> with numerous high-end microscopes, including a Zeiss Airyscan equipped with a cryo-stage. Further infrastructure upgrades are being planned for the near future to facilitate all aspects of the cryo-CLEM workflow.

The Torrey Pines Mesa has a vibrant cryo-EM and scientific community. There are ~dozen dedicated cryo-EM labs within walking distance from each other. Research programs span many different areas of cryo-EM technology development and application for both molecular and cellular structural biology. We hold monthly and quarterly seminar series, and a yearly cryo-EM symposium in the area. The Salk Institute is a fantastic, interdisciplinary place for science, with extensive core and scientific resources for independent project development.

Applicants must have a Ph.D. or equivalent degree and must demonstrate the ability to develop a creative research program for cellular structural biology. The ideal candidate would have prior cryo-ET experience and a strong background in cellular or molecular structural biology and/or biochemistry. Candidates with strong prior records of cryo-EM single-particle analysis, who wish to develop independent cryo-ET directions, will also be considered.

Applicants should send a CV, brief description of current research activities, and contact information of 3 references to:

Dmitry Lyumkis
Assistant Professor
The Salk Institute for Biological Studies
10010 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037
T: 858-453-4100 x1155
E: dlyumkis at salk.edu<mailto:dlyumkis at salk.edu>
https://lyumkis.salk.edu