[3dem] Request for help to find source of resolution loss in cryo-EM

Mike Strauss mikestrauss13 at crystal.harvard.edu
Tue May 16 11:20:22 PDT 2017

Hi Henning,

We have a similarly equipped system and encountered the following issues
that could lead to something like this:

1. A mild pulsing of the HT, visible at spot 1 in probe mode near
crossover.  This was made worse by the Keithley power supply for our Phase
Plate.  We resolved this by moving the power supply farther from the
column, and plugging it onto the microscope powered outlets.  Since the LS
Quantums are not coupled directly to the HT, this makes the problem even
worse when going through the GIF.
2. Vibration caused by pump (either turbo, or rotary, depending on what was
happening in vacuum-land).
3. Improperly "tuned" GIF.

I would also do a drift test to see if you have systematic motion along Y.
If you have a pre-GIF camera, check if you have a similar attenuation,
thereby possibly excluding the GIF as the source. Check to make sure the
phase plate is properly grounded, if you have one.

Let us know what it was once you figure it out.

Regards,

mike