[3dem] NCI National CryoEM Facility opens May 15, 2017

Subramaniam, Sriram (NIH/NCI) [E] subramas at mail.nih.gov
Fri May 12 07:48:07 PDT 2017

Dear friends and colleagues,

I am pleased to announce that the NCI supported National Cryo-EM Facility (NCEF) operated by Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research will be open for operation starting May 15, 2017.

The facility will provide access to a Titan Krios electron microscope at no cost to researchers within the extramural academic community. In the future, NCEF may also be accessible to non-academic users. To qualify, users must provide pre-screened sample grids that are ready for high-resolution data collection. Users must also provide a brief justification of the relevance of their project to cancer research. The decision about suitability of the project for data collection will be made on a first-come, first-served basis, and will solely be based on the quality of the screening images provided.

More details about access to the facility and the application procedure are available at http://www.cancer.gov/research/resources/cryoem.

The facility currently has one Titan Krios microscope that is equipped with a pre-GIF Falcon II and post-GIF K2-Summit direct electron detectors. We anticipate that additional microscopes will be added in future years as needed. The facility is led by senior microscopist Dr. Ulrich Baxa. Staff include microscopist Dr. Thomas Edwards, who will perform data collection, and project manager, Helen Wang, who will assist with administrative and communication aspects of the facility.

I will remain affiliated with NCEF as the scientific advisor to the program, but all operational aspects will be handled by staff employed by the Frederick National Laboratory. We are very pleased to have the advice of a distinguished working group that is composed of structural biologists and cryo-EM experts. The current membership of this committee includes: Dr. Steven Ludtke (Baylor College of Medicine, Chair); Dr. Mario Amzel (Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine), Dr. Edward Egelman (University of Virginia), Dr. Angela Gronenborn (University of Pittsburgh), Dr. Stephen Harrison (Harvard University School of Medicine), Dr. Grant Jensen (Caltech), Dr. Piermaria Oddone (Fermilab) and Dr. Hong Zhou (UCLA).

We hope that this facility will begin to address the need for access to high-end cryo-EM instrumentation in the cancer research community.

Sincerely,

Sriram Subramaniam