[3dem] Cryo-electron Microscopy Core Specialist
Huilin.Li at vai.org
Mon Mar 20 20:02:01 PDT 2017
Van Andel has an immediate opening for a cryo-EM core specialist. Please forward the information below to anyone who might be interested and qualified.
Huilin Li, PhD
Van Andel Research Institute
Cryo-EM Structural Biology Laboratory
333 Bostwick Ave., NE
Grand Rapids, Michigan 49503
Telephone: (616) 234.5306
Email: Huilin.Li at vai.org<mailto:Huilin.Li at vai.org>
Van Andel Research Institute (VARI)<http://www.vai.org/vari.aspx> is a leading independent biomedical research facility dedicated to determining the epigenetic, genetic, molecular and cellular origins of cancer, Parkinson’s and other diseases, and translating those findings into effective therapies. The Institute is home to more than 330 scientists and support staff that work in on-site laboratories and in collaborative partnerships that span the globe.
We are currently seeking to hire a cryo-EM Core Specialist to assist in the daily operations of our state of the art cryo-EM facility, which includes the latest Titan Krios microscope. The cryo-EM Core provides cryo-EM data collection, and single particle image processing/method development services to internal researchers.
As our cryo-EM Core Specialist, you will work with the cryo-EM Core Facility Manager and will be responsible for the following Key Areas:
• Provide cryo-EM technology assistant to users including sample preparation, data collection.
• Operate hardware associated with EM data collection such as microscope, direct electron detector, sample robot, liquid nitrogen levels and responsible for their maintenance.
• Record projects and experimental conditions in an electronic laboratory notebook.
• Communicate experimental details with the users and other relevant project team members.
• Help users prepare the experimental method section in resulting publications.
• Other duties as assigned.
What skills and qualifications should you possess?
• We would expect you to possess a Bachelor’s or Master’s or PhD Degree (or equivalent) in Biochemistry, Physics, Chemistry, or related field.
• A basic understanding of the electron optics and electron image formation.
• 3 – 5 years of hands on experience in operating electron microscopes is required and ideally you would be familiar with modern cryo-electron microscopes, electron detectors, and cryo-EM data collection procedures.
• Experience in a core or shared resource laboratory
Most importantly, you should be a person with the following traits and characteristics:
• A good communicator who is flexible and has a customer service oriented personality. We expect you to have a strong commitment to building and maintaining a positive work environment.
• A motivated and hardworking individual, who has excellent organizational and time management skills
• A strong desire and capability to learn new technologies
• The ability to work alone or as a team member
• Strong critical thinking and troubleshooting skills
How to apply:
If you possess these attributes and the desire to help us provide best in a class service to our researchers, we would welcome speaking with you and strongly encourage you to apply today at http://bit.ly/VARI-cryo-em.
In your application, provide us the following:
• cover letter highlighting key qualifications,
• current curriculum vitae with complete bibliography,
• names and contact information of 3 references,
This position will be open until filled and will be reviewing applications on an ongoing basis. If you have any difficulty uploading your application or any questions, please email Eric Miller at eric.miller at vai.org<mailto:eric.miller at vai.org>.
VAI is actively striving to diversify its workforce and strongly encourages qualified individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. Van Andel Institute is an EEO and Affirmative Action Employer.
Van Andel Research Institute is located in downtown Grand Rapids, MI <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIakr9wkiKI> which is the second largest city in Michigan and the largest city in West Michigan. Grand Rapids offers a remarkable combination of cosmopolitan atmosphere and small town warmth, known for its philanthropic and sustainability-driven community, and is ranked one of "America's Top 100 Places to Live."
Located on the banks of the Grand River, Grand Rapids<http://www.hellowestmichigan.com/Work-Here> offers all the big-city excitement you'd expect from a million-resident metropolis, featuring hundreds of restaurants and nightspots, theatres, museums, sports and concerts. The safe and clean downtown is surrounded by an eclectic mix of walk-able neighborhoods.
With a medical and life sciences industry boom, strong entrepreneurial activity, dedication to green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering endless career opportunities.
More information about the 3dem