[3dem] Dose-symmetric tilt scheme for electron cryo tomography

Ben Engel bdengel at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 08:40:28 PDT 2017

Hi Davide,

Counts is not electron dose, but simply a measure of the SNR of the image.
I actually don't know much more about how counts are calculated, but
perhaps David can teach us (I would be very interested to learn more!).
You must calibrate the electron dose separately, and this will be reported
in the log and recorded in the mdoc.

This #set target counts variable is the same as the variable in the normal
SerialEM tomogram acquisition.  It is an alternative to the 1/cos scheme,
where the program looks at the counts in the previous record image and then
adjusts the exposure time to try to achieve the target counts in the next
record.  If you are going up in tilt (the specimen is getting thicker),
this results in increasing exposure times.

While 1/cos works well for predictable samples, most of the people in our
lab use target counts for cellular lamellas, where it is a bit
unpredictable how quickly you will have to increase the dose, and where the
required dose increases are not the same in the plus and minus directions.

In practice, what I do is set the record for the exposure time I would like
to use in my zero tilt, take a preview image on the sample, and then take a
look in the "tilt series setup" dialogue for the predicted counts given my
exposure time.  This gives me a feeling for what I can realistically shoot
for on a given sample.  On thin cellular lamellas, I can normally get over
120 counts/image while staying under 100 e/A2 total dose.  On thin isolated
stuff, I can sometimes get up to 160 or so.  On thicker cellular lamellas,
or contaminated lamellas, I am happy to get 100 counts, and am often stuck
with only 80.  If the prediction for zero tilt is 50-60 at the maximum
electron dose I am comfortable with (1.5-2 for the image), then it simply
is too thick and I don't bother.

Best,
Ben