[3dem] Postdoc position at NIH

Hinshaw, Jenny (NIH/NIDDK) [E] jennyh at niddk.nih.gov
Thu Oct 6 11:39:49 PDT 2016

Cryo-EM postdoc position in the Hinshaw Lab at NIH

We are seeking a highly motivated candidate for the position of a postdoctoral fellow interested in structure-function studies of dynamin proteins. We are investigating the dynamic properties of dynamin proteins by cryo-EM, biochemical and fluorescent microscopy approaches. Dynamin family members are large GTPases involved in numerous membrane fission and fusion events in the cell. Dynamin is crucial for endocytosis, synaptic membrane recycling, and membrane trafficking within the cell.  Mutations in dynamin have been shown to cause the peripheral neuropathy, Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease (CMT), centronuclear myopathy (CNM) and Hereditary Spastic Paraplegia (HSP). Other dynamin family members are involved in processes including division and fusion of mitochondria (Drp1, Mfn, Opa1), and anti-viral activity (Mx, hGBP1).  Mutations in Opa1 (Optic Atrophy) are a leading cause of blindness while mutations in Mfns (mitofusins) lead to CMT and hereditary motor and sensory neuropathy (HMSM). We are currently exploring the structure and function of dynamin, mitofusins and Opa1 and how specific mutations lead to a disease state.

The laboratory has excellent resources for cryo-electron microscopy and fluorescent microscopy. Our group has an FEI T12 and TF20 with a K2 Summit direct electron detector. In addition, our institute (NIDDK) will have a 25% resource share on a FEI Titan Krios with an energy filter and K2 Summit camera, which will be installed on the NIH campus in the near future.

With its diverse laboratories and expertise available on the Bethesda main campus, and excellent research and clinical seminars, NIH provides a superb and stimulating scientific environment that greatly enhances the postdoctoral training experience.
The ideal candidate will have expertise in protein biochemistry (protein expression and purification) and/or cryo-EM methods including image processing.
Applicants should send a cover letter, briefly describing previous research experience and future goals, a CV and contact information for three professional references to jennyh at niddk.nih.gov<mailto:jennyh at niddk.nih.gov> .
Jenny Hinshaw
Section Chief, Structural Cell Biology
LCMB, NIDDK
National Institute of Health