[3dem] growing mammalian cells on TEM grids, 3D print solution

Giovanna Grandinetti giovanna.grandinetti at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 07:53:29 PST 2016

Hello 3dem members,
I have had trouble with bending grids when I try to grow mammalian cells on
them.  To combat this problem, I made some grid holders with our 3D
printer. A full description can be found here

https://techtransfer.cancer.gov/availabletechnologies/e-243-2016

and some images are attached.  The good thing about them is that they work
very well and make it easier to pick up grids without bending them, the
downside is that since the grids are raised above the glass to allow
tweezers to slide under them, it is more difficult to get good
high-resolution fluorescent images.  The smaller ones were designed for
glass-bottomed Mattek dishes with 20mm glass diameter

https://www.mattek.com/store/p35g-1-0-20-c-case/

and the larger one fits in either a Mattek 35mm dish or a 6 well plate.

If anyone is interested in trying these, I would be happy to send the .stl
files so you can 3D print your own with your choice of material.  I can
also send a printed out version of either one in PLA.  Alternatively, I can
send the Blender files if anyone would like to make any adjustments to
these.
Regards,
Giovanna Grandinetti