[3dem] blotting quantifoil from copper side

Mohamed Chami mohamed.chami at unibas.ch
Wed Jan 20 08:31:19 PST 2016

Dear Daniel,
We had also this problem with Quantifoil grids because the paper filter doesn't have contact with the sample when you blot from the back side. The carbon film of Quantifoil's grids is thicker than the carbon film of Tedpella's grids. 2 tricks you can try:
- Glow discharges the both sides of the grids
or
- Put the sample (3 or 4 ul) of the sample on the carbon side and put also a little droplet of sample on the other side (blotting side) just by touching the middle of the grid with the tip of the pipette in order to make a bridge between the sample and the blotting side.
Hope it will help
Best
Mohamed

Mohamed Chami, PhD
Bio-EM lab
Center for Cellular Imaging and NanoAnalytics (C-CINA)
Biozentrum, University of Basel
Mattenstrasse 26,
CH-4058 Basel
Switzerland