[3dem] exchange of zeolite in a Gatan 626 cryholder

John Rubinstein john.rubinstein at utoronto.ca
Tue Feb 23 05:57:25 PST 2016

‎Dear Lubomir,

Some time ago Gatan stopped using zeolites in their cryoholders and started using (and retrofitting holders with) 'carbon packs' that accomplish the same objective. These packs can be purchased from Gatan or your Gatan distributor for a few hundred dollars ($Cdn) and installed in your holder at home - but care should be taken disassembling the holder (I seem to remember there are some very fine wires inside the dewar of the 626 holder‎).

We've just ordered a carbon pack for a 626 holder we have that still contains zeolites - it was a demo holder that was already old when we got it 6 years ago or so.‎ Mark Dods, Gatan's holder guru (cc’ed here), can probably give advice on how to do this replacement or point you in the right direction. Fishione Instruments uses Zeolites in their new Model 2550 cryotransfer holder, but they are bonded to the dewar for better heat transfer. We’ve just ordered one of these holders.

Best wishes,
John

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.