[3dem] exchange of zeolite in a Gatan 626 cryholder

Stephan Wilkens wilkenss at upstate.edu
Tue Feb 23 07:26:34 PST 2016

Hi Lubomir,

We used "Molecular Sieves, 13X, 1.6-2.5 mm" from Alfa Aesar (https://www.alfa.com/en/catalog/B21109/). 250 g sells for $30 in the US.

As far as I remember, not any zeolite works as it has to give up its water at the relatively low bake out temperature of the holder.

Avoid exposing the zeolite to the air for longer than necessary.

Changing the zeolite is a bit tricky, as John Rubinstein mentioned, you have to watch for the thin wire when removing the lid that keeps the beads in place. Also, getting the cup back on without the O-ring rolling out of its grove can be tricky - we use a very thin coating of fomblin to make it slide up smoothly. May not be Gatan approved but it works. Last time I checked, Gatan did not sell spare O-rings for the holder - but maybe they do now.

A Carbon (or zeolite) pack (as John mentioned) sounds like a step in the right direction but maybe a bit more expensive - and the zeolite works just fine.

Hope that helps, and let me know if you have additional questions.

Stephan

On Feb 23, 2016, at 6:22 AM, Lubomir Kovacik wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>
> I wonder if it is possible to exchange the zeolite powder in the Gatan
> cryoholder in the lab and avoid sending it to the company. I I hoped to
> google out a recipe but I could not find one. Has anyone tried this?
>
> With best regards,
>
> Lubomir
>
> --
> Ing. Lubomir Kovacik, Ph.D.                        tel.: +420 224968000
> Institute of Cellular Biology and Pathology        fax.: +420 224917418
> 1st Faculty of Medicine, Charles University
> Albertov 4
> 12801 Prague
> Czech Republic

Stephan Wilkens
Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
SUNY Upstate Medical University
750 East Adams Street
Syracuse, NY 13210
Tel: (315) 464-8703