[3dem] Postdoc position in the group of Elena Conti, at the Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry (Munich, Germany)

Elena Conti Conti at biochem.mpg.de
Thu Mar 26 05:53:20 PDT 2015

Postdoc position in the group of Elena Conti, at the Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry (Munich, Germany).

Our group is interested in the molecular mechanisms used by eukaryotic cells to detect and eliminate defective or unnecessary RNA molecules. We study the macromolecular complexes that underpin RNA quality control and degradation processes, with the aim to elucidate how they function at the  molecular and chemical level. To this end, we use biochemical, biophysical and structural biology approaches (see recent examples in Benda et al., Mol Cell 2014; Schaefer et al., NSMB 2014; Makino et al., Nature 2013; Halbach et al., Cell 2013; Sharif and Conti, Cell Rep 2013).

We are looking for a candidate who has experience in single-particle cryo-EM and who is interested to work at the interface of different structural biology  techniques. The successful candidate will reconstitute, purify and biochemically characterize a  macromolecular complex  (with protocols available in the lab) and will then use EM (either alone or in combination with X-ray crystallography and mass-spec crosslinking) to elucidate its high-resolution structure. In addition to his/her primary project, there is the possibility for the candidate to collaborate with other lab members on different projects .

The candidate will be embedded in an international and multidisciplinary environment. Our lab is adjacent to EM groups, with whom we share equipment and communicate on a daily basis. The Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry (MPIB) has a strong focus on EM and tomography led by the Department of Prof Wolfgang Baumeister. In addition to the current EM infrastructure, our institute is in the process of establishing an EM Core Facility, with a separate Titan Halo equipped with a direct detector already on site. Outstanding state-of-the-art infrastructure for biochemistry, biophysics and X-ray crystallography is housed directly in our department.

The position is available immediately, for 3 years, and is funded by the Max Planck Society, an ERC Advanced grant and the Louis Jeantet Foundation.

Please contact me (conti at biochem.mpg.de) for further information.

Best wishes

Elena

_______________________________