[3dem] Announcing EMAN2.11

Ludtke, Steven J sludtke at bcm.edu
Fri Jun 5 20:47:47 PDT 2015

We are very pleased to announce the official release of EMAN2.11 which, as always, is distributed in a joint package with SPARX. The remainder of this announcement focuses on the EMAN2.11 component of the release.

Direct download links are here:
http://ncmi.bcm.edu/ncmi/software/counter_222/software_130

but please don't forget the documentation Wiki
http://blake.bcm.edu/emanwiki/EMAN2

and discussion group
http://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!forum/eman2

We skipped a widespread announcement when we released EMAN2.1, assuming we would have a bugfix release shortly thereafter. EMAN2.11 represents a very stable release, and the transition from EMAN2.0x -> EMAN2.1x represents a major change in direction for the package. EMAN2.1x focuses on simplicity of operation, stability and it removes the major unpopular design decision in EMAN2.0 (BDB database storage instead of regular files).

 * EMAN2.1 now uses ordinary flat image files, and uses human-readable/editable text files for all metadata/parameters
 * It performs gold-standard refinements as well as multi-model refinement for heterogeneous particle populations, with many optional, but almost no required, parameters.
 * It produces a full refinement report with plots and refinement-specific descriptions of refinement processing
 * Tools for tilt validation, random conical tilt and other methods
 * a full suite of subtomogram averaging tools, including experimental per-particle CTF correction, and a GUI 3-D particle picker
 * All new file browser with integrated 3D multimodel&multimode display (isosurfaces, slices, annotations, etc.), 2-D image viewer and 2-D/3-D plotting
 * Support for 25+ file formats, most with read and write support
 * ~200 image processing operations, including filters, masks, mathematical operations, etc
 * Tools for easy data exchange with Relion, Frealign, Ctffind and other popular software. For homogeneous particle populations the current version of EMAN and Relion will produce virtually identical maps at virtually identical resolutions  (and for heterogeneous data, you will learn important things by performing comparative refinements in multiple software packages).

For a detailed list of changes and bugfixes, please see the download page. Questions & comments are always welcome to either to the discussion group above, (or email me directly any time).

* - Note that the NCMI will also be resuming our biennial single particle reconstruction workshops late this fall. Look for an announcement here soon!

cheers

Steven Ludtke, Ph.D.
Professor, Dept of Biochemistry and Mol. Biol.         (www.bcm.edu/biochem<http://www.bcm.edu/biochem>)
Co-Director National Center For Macromolecular Imaging        (ncmi.bcm.edu<http://ncmi.bcm.edu>)