[3dem] Ribosome - negative staining - help request

Shebl, Bassem M. (MU-Student) bmgmw7 at mail.missouri.edu
Wed Jul 8 08:52:26 PDT 2015

Dear all,

I am a new student to the field of electron microscopy. As a part of a project to an electron microscopy course I am taking, we are trying to look at negatively stained ribosomes. Does anyone have experience regarding this? Buffers used, concentrations, stain used? I did search the literature few times to look for recent publications on the topic but didn’t come across anything useful. I started with 2% Uranyl Acetate in “20 mM HEPES􏰄KOH (pH 7.5), 6 mM MgCl2, 150 mM NH4Cl, 6 mM b-mercaptoethanol, 2 mM spermidine, and 0.1 mM spermine” with a concentration of 15 nM.

Bassem Shebl