[3dem] sharing em maps during peer-review process

Edward Egelman egelman at virginia.edu
Thu Apr 30 14:01:50 PDT 2015

Hi,
   First, let me say that I was not the reviewer! Second, I recently
spoke at an NIH workshop on reproducibility in structural biology:
http://wals.od.nih.gov/reproducibility/
and making maps and models available to reviewers BEFORE publication,
and not AFTER, was one of my recommendations. I gave several examples of
papers in high profile journals that would never have been published had
reviewers actually compared the maps and models during review. I do not
understand the basis for the paranoia.
Regards,
Ed

On 4/30/15 4:19 PM, Friedrich Foerster wrote:
> dear colleagues,
>
> i would be interested in experiences / suggestions / views of others
> in the field on  the following issue that may be of interest to many
> of us:
> the editor of our manuscript forwarded the request of a peer-reviewer
> to access the cryo-em map of our beloved complex. this has never
> happened to us, but to our surprise the editor did not consider the
> request to be unusual.
> of course, we share the point that the map would be of great help in
> judging the interpretation of the data. however, we also feel very
> uncomfortable sending the condensed result of lengthy research to an
> anonymous colleague, who could theoretically make considerable misuse
> of it. nevertheless, the policy of the journal seems to let us little
> choice: "Supporting data must be made available to editors and
> peer-reviewers at the time ofsubmission for the purposes of evaluating
> the manuscript.Peer-reviewersmay be askedto comment on the terms of
> access to materials, methods and/or data sets".
> in any case we would be curious whether others indeed got similar
> requests and how they dealt with it. a good solution for (paranoid?)
> people like us could be a good web-based viewer that lets others view
> our map, but i would not know of such a tool.
>
> Thanks
>
> Friedrich
>
> --
> Dr. Friedrich Foerster
> Max-Planck Institut fuer Biochemie
> Am Klopferspitz 18
> D-82152 Martinsried
>
> Tel: +49 89 8578 2632
> Fax: +49 89 8578 2641
>
> www.biochem.mpg.de/foerster <http://www.biochem.mpg.de/foerster>

Edward H. Egelman, Ph.D.
Professor
Dept. of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics
University of Virginia

President
Biophysical Society

phone: 434-924-8210