[3dem] getting protein samples into holes in quantifoil

Natesh Ramanathan natesh at iisertvm.ac.in
Fri Oct 31 00:45:01 PDT 2014

Dear Sheemei,

These are due to the characteristics of the protein to stick to carbon.
We faced similar problem and one trick to overcome this problem is
use a thin layer are carbon on the holes of holey grid.  Another advantage
is you can reduce the concentration of sample required to a large
extent; you can try almost 1/10th that you use in holey grids.
 Use of plasma treated graphene  is another method that you can try -  see
recent Nat. Methods paper by Lori and group "Controlling protein adsorption
on graphene for cryo-EM using low-energy hydrogen plasmas. Russo CJ,
Passmore LA.  Nat Methods. 2014 Jun;11(6):649-52.

Hope that helps,
Warm Regards,
Natesh

-
"Live Simply and do Serious Things .. "
- Dorothy Mary Crowfoot Hodgkin OM, FRS

"In Science truth always wins"
- Max Ferdinand Perutz OM FRS
Dr. Ramanathan Natesh
Ramalingaswami Fellow-DBT, Assistant Professor
Indian Institute of Science Education and Research Thiruvananthapuram
(IISER-TVM),
1st floor, Dept. of Computer Science & Engg. Building,
CET Campus, Engineering College P.O.,
Trivandrum,  695016, Kerala, India

natesh at iisertvm.ac.in
http://www.researcherid.com/rid/C-4488-2008