[3dem] Biological TEM Standards

Jonathan Remis jonathan.remis at northwestern.edu
Tue Oct 14 14:10:57 PDT 2014

Hello everyone,

We are looking for some standard biological samples to image under negative stained or cryo conditions.  These standards would be used show new TEM users what sort of data they can expect with correctly prepared and handled samples.  I suppose the only requirements for this standard would be MW >250kd, that it stains well with Uranyl Acetate or Uranyl Formate and that it be fairly homogeneous.

Ideally we would like to purchase a standard instead of purify it but I am not having much luck finding what I thought would have been common (GroEL, TMV) TEM standards for sale.  If necessary we will purify our own but I thought maybe someone on this listserv may have more information on how to obtain such a standard. Thank you for your time and help.

Best wishes,
Jonathan Remis

JONATHAN REMIS

CryoEM Facilities Manager