[3dem] Layer of Solid Ethane on Cryo Plunge Grids

YY YY rongchigram79 at yahoo.com.sg
Mon Oct 13 09:00:02 PDT 2014

Dear Dennis and Xiaochen, thank you very much for your advices! Really appreciate your prompt reply!

Cheers,
Yee Yan
FACTS Lab
Nanyang Technological University

On Friday, 10 October 2014, 18:02, Dennis Thomas <thomas at biochem.mpg.de> wrote:
Hi

When I go to put my grids into the box I also often have this layer of
ethane. To free the grid from the tweezers I just put the grid into
the slot relaesa the tweezers and move them sideways so that
contacting the edge of the grid against the side of the slot frees the
grid. sometimes the ethane comes free and floats away, sometimes not.

I usually look at my grids later and find there is no longer any
ethane present. Although if you plan to look at then immediately then
use a longer airlock time 40 vs. 30 seconds for example. I do not
believe there is any way to 'systematically' assess what the effect
is. We have been doing cryo successfully for a long time so it would
seem to not be an important issue. There are so many other potential
problems that one should consider.

Best wishes

Dennis
--