[3dem] Unrecognised CryoEM contaminant 2

rkhayat at ccny.cuny.edu rkhayat at ccny.cuny.edu
Fri Mar 28 12:13:50 PDT 2014

There is the possibility that freezing causes the particles to
explode, leaving the condensed RNA/DNA behind. I've had VLPs
explode due to the freezing process when making cryo-EM grids.
Can you flash freeze the virus? Try flash freezing the virus,
thawing it, and checking how it affects your particles via
negative stained EM. This is probably the easiest way to test
if it might be the freezing.

If it's something in your sample, its presence should decrease
as you decrease the concentration of your particles.

Reza Khayat, PhD
Assistant Professor
The City College of New York
Department of Chemistry, MR-1135