[3dem] Unrecognised CryoEM contaminant

Daniel Luque dluque at cnb.csic.es
Wed Mar 26 04:23:25 PDT 2014

Hello,

We are doing CryoEM of viral particles. When we check the sample by negative
staining, a field of intact homogeneous particles without significant
contaminants is observed. However, when we visualize the same sample by
CryoEM, additionally to a lower-than-expected number of particles, we
observe an unexpected contaminant mostly located in the holes (see attached
document with some example images). Does anybody see this class of
contaminants? Any idea about its origin?

Thanks in advance!

Daniel Luque