[3dem] Virus on Carbon

Ben Hankamer b.hankamer at uq.edu.au
Thu Mar 13 22:51:11 PDT 2014

Hi Luiza
We have had similar problems with a number of proteins. What worked for us in some cases was to reduce the glow discharge time. It will depend on your set up but try down to 1 sec.

The rational was to make the carbon sufficiently hydrophilic to allow the ice sheet to form properly in the holes of the holey carbon film, but to minimize electrostatic attraction of the proteins to the carbon.

Ben