[3dem] Virus on Carbon

Qiu-Xing Jiang Qiu-Xing.Jiang at UTSouthwestern.edu
Fri Mar 14 04:54:53 PDT 2014

We recently developed chemically modified carbon films. Protein G on C films may help select viral particles through an antibody. It could allow the concentration ~0.1 - 1% of what usually used, and may be useful. Marc Llaguno from my lab is on the Tahoe meeting presenting this. If you are there, please go talk to him. We could send some grids to you. Best luck,

Qiu-Xing Jiang
Department of Cell Biology
UT Southwestern Medical Center
Rm NL5.140B, MC9039
6000 Harry Hines Blvd
Dallas, TX 75390, USA
phone: 214-633-1940  Fax 214-648-5814
Admin Assistant: Ms. Demyia Pridgen  (phone 214-633-1948)

From: 3dem-bounces at ncmir.ucsd.edu [3dem-bounces at ncmir.ucsd.edu] on behalf of C.J. [biocjh at gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2014 11:23 PM
To: 3DEM Mailing List
Subject: Re: [3dem] Virus on Carbon

I also came accross problems of something like Luiza's. My sample is a macromolecule.

Xinghong, whether your method could solve my problem? Thanks.

Hi Luiza,
Maybe you can try to make the ice a little bit thicker to see if that will make any difference. They theory is that, if the ice is too thin, big particles will not stay in the hole due to size exclusion effect. I had similar situation when working with big viruses.
Good luck!

Xinghong