[3dem] summary about the question on Resolution estimate: FSC vs PDB modeling

Michael Chapman chapmami at ohsu.edu
Thu Mar 13 17:26:41 PDT 2014

Qiu-Xing & others, ... adding to some of the excellent prior comments...

There appears wide consensus that comparison to a (homologous) PDB is preferable in (the minority of) cases, like the one discussed, where such a model is available.  Many of the challenges noted have been overcome in an objective assessment described in Chapman et al, 2013.  The algorithm is to convolute the atomic map with a Butterworth low-pass filter, least-squares refining the cut-off frequency for maximal agreement of atomic and EM maps for voxels in the neighborhood of (selected) atoms.  The result is converted to a resolution where the fitted signal falls below a threshold, so is analogous to FSC or FCR.  However it reflects attenuation of signal rather than signal:noise ratio, so might be more appropriate for assessment of information content, but less appropriate for filtering decisions etc. during processing.

This approach revealed the overestimation of resolution in the Mm-Cpn structure as later confirmed through Gold Standard assessment by the original authors.  As part of other work, Scott Stagg & colleagues compared it to other metrics over a range of resolution regimes. It is implemented as part of last year's release of RSRef.

Chapman, M.S., A. Trzynka, B.K. Chapman, 2013. Atomic modeling of cryo-electron microscopy reconstructions - Joint refinement of model and imaging parameters. J Struct Biol 182, 10-21.
Stagg, S.M., A.J. Noble, M. Spilman, M.S. Chapman, 2014. ResLog plots as an empirical metric of the quality of cryo-EM reconstructions. J Struct Biol 185, 418-26.

Michael.
Michael S. Chapman, R.T. Jones Professor of Structural Biology
Dept. Biochemistry & Molecular Biology; School of Medicine, Mail Code L224
Oregon Health & Science University
3181 Sam Jackson Park Road; Portland, OR 97239-3098
chapmami at ohsu.edu / (503) 494-1025; http://xtal.ohsu.edu/