[3dem] summary about the question on Resolution estimate: FSC vs PDB modeling

Qiu-Xing Jiang Qiu-Xing.Jiang at UTSouthwestern.edu
Thu Mar 13 16:22:37 PDT 2014

Dear all,
Thanks for all the comments regarding my question of FSC vs PDB modeling
in resolution determination. If interested, please read the paper (Nature
505:103-07) on the origin of this question. I would like to point out that
the team of people working on the lectin project had a favor for using the
conventional "gold-standard" FSC as a resolution estimator and
conservatively using the structural information to understand the
biological process, to be on a safe side.

>From different responses, there are divided opinions on using PDB modeling
to replace FSC. With Dr. Egelman's lead on the development, it may soon be
different. Interestingly, all three responses I received about ResMap are
pretty positive. Likely more people will agree with them. We may have a
good solution to the question already.

With regards.
Qiu-Xing