[3dem] .raw file format conversion

Wim Hagen hagen at embl.de
Sun Jun 29 07:23:22 PDT 2014

Dear Tofayel,

ImageJ:
- 32 bit signed
- Offset 49 bytes
- Little-endian byte order

IMOD, for a 4K image,
"raw2mrc -o 49 -x 4096 -y 4096 -t long -c IntermediateImage_yyyymmdd_xxxxxx_n*.raw"
and then your choice of -u for unsigned integer output or -d to divide by 2, otherwise it will divide by 2.

If you have an IMOD installation somewhere and copy the files listed below to some dedicated folder on the microscope pc, you can convert the raw images to MRC stack on the microscope PC (no cygwin needed):
imodzlib1.dll
libcfshr.dll
libguide40.dll
libhvem.dll
libifcoremd.dll
libifft.dll
libifportmd.dll
libiimod.dll
libiwarp.dll
libjpeg.dll
libmmd.dll
libmrcim.dll
libtiff5.dll
newstack.exe
raw2mrc.exe

These are the two options that worked for me but there are more programs that deal with this raw format.

For future acquisition, the latest FEI EPU version writes the frames in a 16 bit MRC stack and SerialEM also handles Falcon frames conveniently and will write a 16 bit MRC stack, we use both at EMBL on our Krios/Falcon2.

Best,

Wim Hagen
EMBL Heidelberg