[3dem] Postdoc position in Hinshaw Lab at NIH

Jenny Hinshaw jennyh at helix.nih.gov
Mon Jan 6 13:42:27 PST 2014

Postdoc Position Available in Hinshaw Lab at NIH

 We are seeking a highly motivated candidate for the position of a postdoctoral fellow interested in structure-function studies of dynamin proteins.

 Our laboratory is studying the structure and function of the dynamin family of proteins. Dynamin family members are large GTPases involved in numerous membrane fission and fusion events in the cell.  Dynamin is crucial for endocytosis, synaptic membrane recycling, and membrane trafficking within the cell.  Other dynamin family members are involved in processes including division and fusion of organelles such as mitochondria (Drp1, Opa1), anti-viral activity (Mx, hGBP1), and in plant cell wall formation and thylakoid membrane organization (Phragmoplastin, ADLs).

 To determine if a common mechanism exists among this unique set of proteins, we are investigating conformational changes of dynamin proteins using cryo-electron microscopy. We are further investigating the interaction of human dynamin with binding partners such as endophilin and amphyphysin using biochemical approaches combined with fluorescent and cryo-electron microscopy.

 The laboratory has excellent resources for cryo-electron microscopy (FEI T12,  TF20 and access to an FEI Polara) and fluorescent microscopy. In addition, we share expertise, resources, and interact with several established cell and structural biology laboratories on and off campus.

 With its diverse laboratories and expertise available on the Bethesda main campus, and excellent research and clinical seminars, NIH provides a superb and stimulating scientific environment that greatly enhances the postdoctoral training experience.

Contact: Jenny Hinshaw

Laboratory of Cell and Molecular Biology
Building 8, Room 1A03, MSC 0851
8 Center Dr.
NIDDK, NIH
Bethesda, MD 20892