[3dem] different mrc formats in relion-1.2 and xmipp-3. ???

Marin van Heel marin.vanheel at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 14 09:40:02 PDT 2013

Dear Dieter,

Unfortunately, the MRC/CCP4 format does not support 4D data sets! Since
there is no standard defined, "anything goes" in terms of extending that
specific format. The best you can do in terms of the MRC/CCP4 format is
to create a set of different 3D volume files and handle them separately
one by one.

Have a look at what we have written about 4D formats in the IMAGIC 4D
paper:

Van Heel M, Portugal R, Rohou A, Linnemayr C, Bebeacua C, Schmidt R,
Grant TR & Schatz M. Four-Dimensional Cryo Electron Microscopy at Quasi
Atomic Resolution: IMAGIC 4D. International Tables for Crystallography
Volume F: Crystallography of biological macromolecules (Second Edition)
Editors: E. Arnold, D. M. Himmel and M. G. Rossmann. International
Tables for Crystallography Vol. F (2012) 624-628.

Cheers,

Marin

On 14-Jul-13 12:08 PM, Dieter Blaas wrote:
> Hi,
>
>      I noticed that (at least) some (or all?) of the routines of
> relion and xmipp output different mrc-formats as revealed with
> "xmipp_image_header".  For example, a file created with xmipp (e.g. a
> with "xmipp_phantom_create")  has "Dimensions     : 1 x 244 x 244 x
> 244  ((N)Objects x (Z)Slices x (Y)Rows x (X)Columns)" whereas files
> created with relion have  "Dimensions     : 244 x 1 x 244 x 244
> ((N)Objects x (Z)Slices x (Y)Rows x (X)Columns)". When trying to work
> on a file like the latter with xmipp I get an error message (e.g in
> "in xmipp_transform_symmetrize" like
>  " _ERROR 3:  Argument missing
> The symmetry order is not valid for images
> File: libraries/reconstruction/symmetrize.cpp line: 161"
>
> What is wrong? Is there a way of easily fix this?
>
>  Thanks for hints, Dieter

     Marin van Heel

     Professor of Cryo-EM Data Processing

     Leiden University
     Cell Observatory
     NeCEN Building Room 05.27
     Einsteinweg 55
     2333 CC Leiden
     The Netherlands

     Tel. NL:     + 31 (0) 715271424
     Mobile NL:   + 31 (0) 652736618
     Skype:       Marin.van.Heel

     and:

     Professor of Structural Biology

     Imperial College London
     Faculty of Natural Sciences
     Division of Molecular Biosciences
     Biochemistry Building (Room 512)
     South Kensington Campus
     London SW7 2AZ,  UK

     Tel. UK:   + 44 (0) 20 75945316
     Mobile:    + 44 (0) 7941540625

     email:  marin.vanheel(A_T)gmail.com
     email:  m.vanheel(A_T)ic.ac.uk
     and:    mvh.office(A_T)gmail.com

I receive many emails per day and, although I try, there is no guarantee that I will actually read each incoming email. Moreover, our Spam filters can be strikt and sometimes make legitimate emails disappear (try the gmail accounts, alternatively)