[3dem] Vitrobot Mark IV water cylinder

Roseann Csencsits rcsencsits at lbl.gov
Fri Dec 20 10:27:50 PST 2013

Hi Bob,

I think Luiza is on the right track, but there may be more..

We recently got a new Mark IV and had training and warnings from the FEI engineer. Over filling the water cylinder can lead to over heating and burning of the plastic piece to which the cylinder mates on the Vitrobot. When this happens the humidifier stops working until a part is replaced.

So to avoid over-filling our protocol includes:

Draw up 55 ml of distilled water in to the syringe. Inject the 55 ml into the tube to fill the humidifier. Keep the syringe attached and pull 10 ml “air” out of the humidifier. This results in a slight vacuum and now the humidifier is properly filled and will work properly.

And:
Emptying the Humidifier - All remaining water must be removed.
Disconnect the electrical cable from the humidifier by pressing up on the ring near the cable and pulling down on the cable connector. Subsequently, twist and pull the humidifier to release the bayonet connection from the Vitrobot. Empty the reservoir by pouring the water from the central reservoir. Re-connect the syringe and withdraw the rest of the water from the outside reservoir. Leave the empty humidifier on the table to dry out completely.

Good luck,
Roseann

Roseann Csencsits, PhD
Scientist in Charge, Downing TEM Tools